Saturday, October 04, 2014

Boho dresser redesign

I have discovered Annie Sloan chalk paint.  Well, to be honest, I've known about it for over a year.  But what I have discovered is the boldness inside of me to actually use it on major items in my home.  I started with my guest bedroom. I got so many compliments that I decided to go headfirst into my bedroom.  While sitting on the floor painting around the legs of the dresser...because I am a single lady...and I didn't have anyone to take the dresser outside so I could properly paint it!!! I had THE idea.  Why not put lace on the drawers?  Not a lace stencil, that looks good in photos but to me looks  cheap in person, but full thick lace that I happen to have in my sewing basket, scraps from a wedding dress that I purchased at Goodwill for a whopping $7.95!  

I started with my dark brown dresser, and did not do any prep other than wipe with a wet cloth to remove any dust. 



Next I painted the dresser with Anne Sloan Duck Egg making sure that I kept some of the brush strokes.  I liked the effect of brush.  After it dried I distressed it a little.

Next I used 3M spray adhesive that is typically used for mounting photos.  Honestly, I used it to hold the lace in place because it is what I had on hand on the day that I attempted this endeavor! But it worked to hold the lace in place.  Next, I used a clear polyacrylic on top of the dresser and directly over the lace to help hold it in place.  I think it turned out okay, but there is probably a better way if you have something that works better let me know!  

I ran out of lace.  That is why I didn't put lace completely covering the middle drawers.  It is a happy accident.  I knew I didn't have enough lace so I played around with design and decided that leaving some of the top of the drawer open was my final design idea.  


I purchased the knobs from Anthropologie but kept the original silver discs that were on the dresser.  Again, I did this because when I took the original knobs off there was an indention so I used what I had on hand.  I had to put something there.  I cut around the lace to make the hole smoother.  

The lace is wrapped around the corners of the drawers but it does not keep the drawers from closing.  The lace is thick too!  **Note I have had problems with the drawers that I open daily causing the lace to lift.  I have put an additional coat of poly on it to see if that helps.  If not? Next stop might be to staple it down! (Or Gorilla glue it...that stuff is AMAZING!) 

No comments: