I am on a roll this week! Whew! I read a couple of blogs and searched Pinterest high and low for ideas on how to make an inexpensive craft room. I am not a "messy" person. However my house had become: Sewing machine/thread/material/patterns/embellishments you know the usual items needed to sew, located at one crafting station that was formerly known as my formal dining room table. Paint/brushes/floor coverings/cleaners were located at crafting station number two, formerly known as my kitchen bar & kitchen table. Burlap/silk/organza/lace/chiffon flowers/hot glue guns (two- pink for high temp and blue for low temp)/mounting sticks/felt and middle flower bling were neatly organized on the item formerly known as my coffee table. I was out of control. If you build it the ideas will come right? So I began my quest for the items to build a crafting room.
I became so overwhelmed that I stopped and started looking for reenactment costumes instead. That is when I came across this blog! It looked easy enough for me to attempt on my own. So off to the store to find the closet maid storage shelves in the post. However, as I eluded to before, I am thrifty. While standing in the store contemplating the $39.88 storage shelf, I couldn't help but gravitate toward the $19.98 bookshelf. So after a brief contemplation, the bookshelf won out. I loaded 3 into my buggy. I knew I already had one of these exact bookshelves at the house.
Next stop was off to a box store for a top for my table. I will admit that I made an error in judging the flexibility of MDF and probably should have gotten a thicker one but I opted for the least expensive $21 a sheet instead. According to inspiration blog I needed a table topper that was 36 x 60, but remember my substitution of bookshelves for storage cubes? Well, that altered my dimensions to 30 x 60, leaving me with two scraps: 49 x 37 and 19 x 60. Let the creativity began!!! First, I am a firm believer of repurposing items. So, in keeping with my quest for repurposing, I walked around my house with a measuring tape locating items that were of the same height. I was able to locate 4 items, two tables, a shelf and desk. all of which were tucked into various corners/guest rooms of my house. Only one of these tables I have found that I miss...so I'm looking to replace it in the craft room but haven't found a solution yet.
I put the bookshelves together following the directions but adding the step of painting the back of the shelves teal with a sample of paint that I had on hand. If I were to add the the paint it would have been $2.98 (*My color was from last year and not available anymore.) I arranged and rearranged the middle cutting table at least 1/2 a dozen times before I decided that the 49 x 37 was the best fit for the middle of the room. I covered the MDF with Quilt batting that was $11.97 (It did not take all of the batting. I used some for a chair and still have some left over.) Next I covered the top with an old sheet. If I were to buy the sheet it would have been $4.97.
I used the remaining paint on the scrap pieces of MDF. After a day of arranging/rearranging I settled on the layout. I used gorilla glue that I had on hand ($6.48) to secure the top of the island, two bookshelves on top of each other to make the tall unit, and the two desks. (I still have some left over. This stuff is seriously a beast!! LOVE IT!)
I had baskets all over my house, but could not resist a clearance section of Walmart where I found 5 small blue cubed baskets for $1.50 each! I would have purchased more but it was all they had.
That brings my grand total of all in to duplicate this this craft room to: $134.82. (*I didn't have to spend but $100.41because I had various items already on hand.) You will have to find 4 matching items to use as the table bases which, if you can't find any in your house and you have to buy them, may drive your price up. But not bad for a craft room under $200!!
**Note: On the cutting table in the middle of the room, I put a tension rod that I already had and one panel of a curtain that I also had in a closet. The curtain was cut in 1/2 with one for this side and the other 1/2 stapled to the the bottom of the MDF on the other side. I still think that you could recreate this under $200 even if you had to buy those items. **